HOME       ABOUT NFED       OUR BLOGS

Monday 28 November 2016

MR KENNEY KENDALL’s FAREWELL SPEECH




David and Kenny in front of NFED-TOLON office
I personally join ICS to develop my career in development related issues and also to give back to society what I have learnt in class as a development student. After going through all the rudimentary theories in development and few experiences I have gathered back at school, little did I know that my few months with ICS as a volunteer will be of much benefit to myself than what I will contribute to the primary objective of ICS in Tolon district, northern region, Ghana and worldwide as I thought earlier before joining the programme.

I became more confused and reluctant to continue volunteering when I was made known at the in-country training that I will be delivering my service as a volunteer with a government division called NFED-Tolon simply because I had this wrong impression in me that non-formal education as a government unit in Ghana is a ‘dead walking entity’ and for that matter wouldn’t help me to realize my objective for joining the programme. Little did I know that my service as a volunteer with NFED is not to teach adult education but to help build capacity on several income generating groups they (NFED) formed through their literacy classes in various communities in the Tolon district.

I became more bored and reluctant when we were introduced to our UKV's (UK volunteers) counterparts because frankly observing some of the ‘stuffs’ going on during the ICO training one could imagine the huge gap in cultural differences and how to cope up them when we finally go to our area of volunteering. Here again, little did I know that it was a great opportunity to learn diverse culture and share ideas cross-culturally.

Volunteers with NFED staff at Kenny's farewell speech

It is during placement that I gradually realize that one cannot just judge another by instant observation (appearance might really be deceptive). Among us as volunteers of ICS is this gentle, calm soft spoken UKV called Kenny Kendall who earlier on judging from my point of view, I was thinking he is going to be one of the ‘difficult’ co- volunteers to deal with on placement. But his attitude, maturity, composure and reaction to issues relating to him and his culture has made me swallow back my earlier thoughts and impressions about him. As it stands now he is returning back to UK based on health ground but not his inability to continue volunteering due to behavior.

 As it stands, I couldn’t believe myself as an individual that I keep on shedding tears due to his departure not only because he has unknowingly proven me wrong by my first perception towards him, but also the vast amount of knowledge I secretly tap from him during placement. I sometimes master courage to approach him of stuffs I personally want to learn from him and his willingness to help anytime I am ready. To make things short, I believe ICS cohort 4 in Tolon will definitely missed one of the well human resourced volunteers whose absence is definitely going to miss in one or the other. From me David in particular, I say Kenny you are my mentor that I will always rely on irrespective of the distance that is going to be created among us. I am very much proud to call you a brother whether we are related by either blood, religion or color.

 I say ‘AYEKOOOOOOOO’ (well done) for your immense contribution to Africa using International Service as a medium. May you be rewarded abundantly in whatever means of religion you believe in and permanently heal you from this type of ailment that is making you depart sooner from us than the stipulated time for volunteering. May you have a smoooooooooth flight back home to meet your family happy again. 

Post by Gavor Tetteh David                                                                                                                      




No comments:

Post a Comment