HOME       ABOUT NFED       OUR BLOGS

Tuesday 24 January 2017

Culture shock!

AMAARABA!

Welcome!

Our time zones may be the same, but my routine in the UK and here in Tolon is completely different and I am sure you can guess which one you would prefer…
Back home in London, my day starts off with endless snoozing on my iPhone’s alarm while in Tolon my day commences with the sound of lambs, chickens and cows. What better way to start your day than nature’s very own alarm clock?!

In the UK, as I leave the house struggling to find my car keys and trying to remember if I turned the heater off, in Tolon I find myself in a flood of little children offering to carry all of my belongings until I reach my destination. Small, squeaky voices singing: “Siliminga [white person] hello…Siliminga what is your name?” is the song that welcomes me every day as I go to and from work as the children exercise the English they have learnt in school. I use this as an opportunity to improve my Dagbani.

Our group (cohort 6) spent the first week introducing ourselves through community entry. This included: meeting the income generating groups (IGGs) that we’ll be working with and paying respect by meeting the chief of Tolon and the chiefs of the individual villages that we will be working with over the next 3 months. Back home it would take me hundreds of emails, a few voicemails and a couple of letters just to the get attention of with my local MP while here in Tolon, we were greeted with traditional drummers and dancers, nuts and even a couple of marriage proposals!
Team Tolon, Cohort 6

The chief of Tolon took pride in telling us that this village is one of the most peaceful villages in the area. From the evidence of the children of Tolon he was not exaggerating! Tolon is flooded with children running around playing. Of course this is the same for children around the world, but the children of Tolon are definitely unique. Both the little girls and boys can walk a mile carrying litres of water on their head and go back and do it all again without complaining. I tried carrying one bucket on my head and spilt half of it all over myself! They hand wash all of their clothes religiously and even offer to do mine! And after a long, hot day at school while most of us would sit in front of the telly, these children go to the roadside and help their families with the jobs that need to be done. Aren’t they your dream kids? 

While my first week in Tolon is certainly the biggest culture shock I have experienced and despite the lifestyle being completely to my life in London, I have never felt more welcomed, loved and safe than I do here.

As cliché as this may sound, amaaraba and welcome to Tolon!

2 comments:

  1. Good work guys, tolon is a really good n a peaceful district,the IGGs need your knowledge of help so pls try your best n help them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I communicate with someone in Tolon. She says she is a nurse and works at a nursery.

    ReplyDelete