HOME       ABOUT NFED       OUR BLOGS

Monday 7 March 2016

Welcome to Dimabi: Change is Possible

Post by: Rashida Seidu


My journey to Dimabi community started with a very  warm welcome from the district capital; Tolon, from the Chief and the community at large. The chief organized a durbar to introduce us to the community and to also create their awareness as to what we are going to be doing in tolon throughout our three months stay there. The chief together with the people of the community showed us love and a warm welcome and as a sign of respect we offered cola nuts and water as a sign of appreciation.

The work in Dimabi started on a Tuesday, we took a bus to the community of Dimabi Yepala, situated on the outskirts of Tolon town. It is made up of three separate communities, community 1, 2, and 3 which has one local chief who governs them all. The name of the income generating group there is “Biehigu Tagya” which simply means “life has changed”, it is a collection of 30 women, whose primary focus is shea butter processing and rice production. 

The first visit started with a meeting with the Dimabi chief, we were offered cola nuts and drinking water, then proceeded into the third community which is where our IGGs are located. When we asked about their aims and what they are hoping to achieve from us they explained it was; to create market opportunities for them, and also teach them on how to become cooperatives to help generate income for themselves in order to kick poverty out of these communities. 

My stay in Tolon with ICS/NFED has undoubtedly made a positive impact to my life with regards to the way I perceive, see and connect with the universe. I think volunteering is a brilliant way to get real-life experience. Whether you build a playground or mail flyers to raise awareness for a local charity, you will experience the real world through hands-on work.

The International Service ICS program has given me a great opportunity to express myself clearly in the midst of my elders without it being regarded as any form of disrespect. Where I am from; Tamale, Northern Ghana I was always taught that using gestures and demonstrations while communicating with an elderly person was a rude and disrespectful act. My stay in Tolon has taught me other wise and that the education of an adult or elderly person in any form isn’t a bad thing. Our work in Tolon has been appreciated by the masses (aka the entire team).  A lot of us have almost been brain washed into thinking that positive change in remote communities like Tolon is impossible. The months I’ve spent here hasn’t been all that easy but I sure know it’s far better than what I expected. I knew all was going to be well the moment we stepped in the community. Our welcome alone was massive and we were assured we will receive a great deal of cooperation which will surely make our set objectives more achievable.

I have also discovered new interests and hobbies as a result of my stay in Tolon with other ICS volunteers. Sometimes we do get locked into the rat-race of life and volunteering with the ICS has given me an escape to everyday routine and created a balance in my life. Finding new interests and hobbies through volunteering with ICS in Tolon has so far been fun, relaxing and energizing. The energy and sense of fulfilment can carry over to a work situation and sometimes helps relieve tensions and foster new perspectives for old situations. Sometimes a volunteer experience can lead you to something you never even thought about or help you discover a hobby or interest you were unaware of. I have been able to strengthen my personal/professional mission and vision by exploring opportunities and expanding my horizons. I have also been able to realize I do like the local dance of the people here which I don’t get to see at my hometown of Tamale. Hopefully I will be a local dance champion with a week more of dance practice.

Overall, I have realized change is possible and can impact positively in the lives of the people of Tolon thanks to ICS.

1 comment:

  1. Well said...
    Change is possible indeed.
    Thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete