HOME       ABOUT NFED       OUR BLOGS

Thursday 3 March 2016

Transparency in volunteering with ICS: Volunteering in the spotlight


Post by- Iddrisu Issahaku 

Sitting on the waiters’ seat at the cafe, every second was like an  hour, counting the second hand of the clock, I could tell the time off-head without watching the clock as the ticking on the clock was as if its powered by my brain. My hope of getting access to a client computer was getting slimmer and slimmer as all the clients kept ordering for more time in hours. The only option was to go back home and bring my own laptop to the café. This trauma was to account for my eagerness to file my interest to volunteer with International Service on the ICS program.
*

The birds had gone back to their nests; the only dominating sound was passing-by vehicles and flying bats. After having done with my daily routine, I was at the roadside relaxing and chatting with friends hoping for a chance to see the most beautiful vehicles of the tamale metropolis. I heard the sound of my phone in the midst of the several sounds of the evening. Guess who it was?

A land line, recognized by my phone as strange; which came with a lady’s voice.
It said; "Good evening! Am I speaking to Iddrisu Issahaku?"
I said yes. 
"I am calling from International service. Congratulations! You have been selected for interview/assessment on the 19th November 2015, 8:00am at GNAT Hall. Please do come with any valid identification card and your criminal report form"


After this interview, I was now hoping that what I presented should be convincing enough to pave me the way to formal volunteering with International Service. Finally, this time, (not with a lady’s voice) was a message congratulating me and inviting me for further assessment and training at the same venue and time on the 22nd December 2015. However, the venue was later changed to the Resource Center Tamale.

All I had was my effort, all I had was my interest, all I had was my faith and desire resting within my chest, where nobody could see or feel it, with nobody anywhere near the high seats of the universe. Unbelievably, I was astonished because it is one of the best in fairness and transparent events of my life. An assessment that you don’t need to know anybody anywhere to help you get through, once you have what it takes to be on board, you are set to go. I was amazed how ICS could easily get me through without any protocol. I think ICS has proven to me that there is still a number of programmes that  goes by merit, Hence, a reason to be hopeful without protocol access.

We had a two-day assessment/training where we were told in detail about ICS and what its objectives are; things we knew already and others that we had just heard. There was much expectation and hope on the faces and hearts of almost all the potential volunteers regarding placements with various partner organizations that existed. Little or none of us had made provisions to be placed at the new project an extremely rural area called Tolon. So needless to say there there was mass-disappointment when our placement as volunteers in our various project were communicated to us. The best way of defeating any disappointment is to accept the situation as if that was the desired result; so, I accepted it in good faith and pledged to put in my best at my newly discovered placement, Tolon NFED.

The next stage was the final assessment and training that was to take place as a goodbye to us and to get all volunteers (UKVs and ICVs) together to present us with important details of everyone's various pairs and host homes, team leaders, etc. This took place at the GILBT training Center and lasted for 3 days. We departed to our various placements after the 3rd day.
 

*
Volunteering in the spotlight
  

I think accountability can only be sought if the populace is aware of the responsibilities of those in steering positions across the world. With ICS, I have inculcated the habit and importance of knowing more about the nitty gritty of whatever is going on both nationally and internationally. This I think will put our leaders on their toes to give us what is due of us as a people, as we are getting more aware than ever.

Volunteering is one of the most momentous yet less-recognized means through which public services get to the poorest and most marginalized communities, this is because I have just got to know of formal volunteering and wish I could volunteer through my life as I am ready to go anywhere to serve.

Through the world there is extensive infrastructure of schools, hospitals, security services, and even social protection schemes, but poor people do not get access to them. I think volunteers can play a significant role in helping to bridge this gap; adding in numbers and experience to the existing public service workforce and helping to ensure the purpose of these services to the communities they have been set up for.

More so, there is an increase in the need for the involvement of young people in development and planning of developmental issues. This is evidenced by the words of the UN general secretary, Ban Ki Moon "We need young people’s participation more than ever. Their energy and idealism can help make up for lost ground and achieve our development goals in full and on time."  I think this is achievable with volunteering.  

Volunteering is also a win-win activity, because an Australian study has shown that for every $1 spent or invested on volunteering you gain $4. Therefore I think countries especially the global south countries should embrace volunteering as it can also serve as a workforce supplement.

Hmmm, I don’t want to say goodbye, but ……….. I think that's it for now... until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment